Sunday, July 31, 2011

Hong Kong: Noodles and Mountains and Staircases

Apologies for the typos in the last post.

I basically had twenty-four hours in Hong Kong. It’s OK – I came here when I was in China before. That did not, however, deter me from exploring. Or from napping off the jet lag – which I did. I’m writing this from Hong Kong’s airport, where I’m waiting to board a flight to Singapore, where I will be spending more time.

I decided to make it a “day of nom.” Hong Kong has great street food and lots of cheap little shops. For a grand total of about HK$85 (US$11 or so), I stuffed my face over the course of several hours. Hong Kong people really like pork and pork products, so kashrut, even my half-assed “no pork, no shellfish, no blood, no dairy-flesh communion” version, was a bit of a challenge. Even then, I ended up VERY full.

Hong Kong is also a study in contradictions: there’s a huge and very visible wealth divide, and it’s crammed into valleys between the sea and mountains. Last time I was here, I went hiking in a mountain literally two kilometers from downtown.

Anyway, on to the pictures! 


This is a cooked food stall conglomeration inside one of the major markets.  Lots of cheap, filling food here. 

Noodles are an amazing thing. These are stir-fried with beef and scallions. The place I got these from is recommended by no less than the Guardian in England (and it was still ridiculously cheap). I also found out after consumption that they use lard in the frying. Oh well, G-d will forgive me.

Hong Kong has tons of public staircases. This makes me really happy.

A cheap bakery, showing off their (delicious) buns. I got a red bean bun. This bakery is on a block with a lot of Filipino foreign workers, so they have English translations, although the customers inside were all Cantonese speakers.

I told you this place was hilly.

A road by a school about 500 meters from where I’m staying. Estimated incline (yay trig): about 11-15 degrees. It rises roughly 20-25 meters in the first 100. 

A cemetery that takes up most of a hill on the way to the airport. Grave space is at an extreme premium in Hong Kong; most people get cremated. A cemetery plot is very expensive: the inequality in Hong Kong literally extends from cradle to grave.
That's it! I'm in Singapore now, which is shaping up to be quite epic.

No comments:

Post a Comment