Wednesday, September 14, 2011

Early Return to the US: Health is Important

This also appears in pretty much the same form on my Facebook.



I've basically been hit by a double health whammy here in Shenzhen. I have a pretty bad cough that's either from the pollution or some upper respiratory infection (and probably has something to do with my general breathing issues here), and I also have a pretty virulent tropical bug bite that's caused swelling, inflammation and possibly (read: likely) an infection on my shin, as well as possibly fever and chills. The doctor in Hong Kong prescribed rest and a cocktail of antibiotics, and also asked me to consider returning to North America. 

My parents and several close friends, however, have unequivocally asked me to come back to the United States as soon as possible, and not next Friday as originally planned. I have decided to return.

I have not spoken to my bosses yet, but I will likely receive approval. I will also need to check with the doctor about flying with my leg in its current state. Should I return, I will probably go to my family in New York for a few days, and then back to Chicago on the 23rd.

My father, fortunately, happens to still be in Hong Kong on business at the moment, so I am safe here for now. While what I have is not life-threatening, my recovery will be greatly aided by a return to the US.

I'm not really sad. I've achieved way more than I even thought possible in Shenzhen, and I've really had an amazing and thrilling experience here in China. I am so grateful, so very grateful, to have had this opportunity and this mind-blowing experience here in Asia. I've seen so many new things and so many new places and lived (,but) for a good period of time in Shenzhen.  I just need to come home, because there are things more important than cool experiences and new things. Like my health.

I also want to thank you guys for the amazing support you've given me over the past few weeks, and the amazing support you've given me in general. One of my achievements was that I got presents for everyone I wanted to get presents for, so that's good. I hope you understand. I know you'll understand.

I'm so grateful to have had this experience. I'm only really losing a few days, and in the long run, that'll matter less than being healthy and happy and being able to reflect on this amazing trip. Sorry to bang my drum here, but I can hold my head high knowing that I've achieved a fuckton, and took advantage of an opportunity that not only many people wouldn't have taken even if they had the opportunity to do so.

I've loved this so much. I'll keep y'all posted. 

I still have two analysis-type posts bouncing about in my head. If the early return happens (we're talking 97% likely here), I will write and post them after getting back.

No comments:

Post a Comment