Wednesday, October 12, 2011

My project brings all the nerds to the yard

So originally I was going to post some more Jewish stuff (chag sameach, it's Sukkot) and segue into a heady mix of Arctic politics, recipes, and talking about the Chinese language again, but I'm tired tonight. So that's delayed.  I feel like posting, but not on anything serious.

So I'll post on a stupid little project of mine.

Milkshake, trashy as it is, is one of the best songs ever (you can see my opinions on pop music here, in an earlier post). Kelis really hit the ball with that one, and Mean Girls fame or not, it's pretty sweet. Not so great on the feminism front, but I like the "it's the girl's power" thing. And the milkshake metaphor.

Nerd that I am, I'm translating the song into Chinese. It's actually a fun challenge, and way better than what I was translating in Shenzhen (which was interesting, but rather stiff and legal-ish).

The preliminary translation is done. I'm going to rework it to be more idiomatic very soon, no sometime soon, maybe next month,  when I have time.

 Here it is - Chinese speakers, feel free to give your feedback.

Lyrics in English are copyright Kelis. This is my own freelance translation.

奶昔
英文:Kelis
葛雅惺的翻译



[说两次]
我奶昔让小伙子过来,
他们说
“比你更好”
真的,比你更好
我会教你
可是需要费!

我知道你想要
让我变成让人
疯狂的事
把脑丢掉
我怎么去
我想,到点儿!

[
两次]
啦啦,啦啦啦
热起来
啦啦,啦啦啦
小伙子在等

我奶昔让小伙子过来,
他们说
“比你更好”
真的,比你更好
我会教你
可是需要费!

我看你正在追我
要我教你
激发男人的办法
并不会买
请主义, 小偷被抓,
保守安全!

[
两次]
啦啦,啦啦啦
热起来
啦啦,啦啦啦
小伙子在等

我奶昔让小伙子过来,
他们说
“比你更好”
真的,比你更好
我会教你
可是需要费!

, 你一进去,
大群看这儿, /
得保守魅力
也保存道德
那到最好平衡,
跟从内心的风,
让男人眼光火
他就找你味道。

[
两次]
啦啦,啦啦啦
热起来
啦啦,啦啦啦
小伙子在等

我奶昔让小伙子过来,
他们说
“比你更好”
真的,比你更好
我会教你
可是需要费!

1 comment:

  1. I got to just say, I am loving these lyrics. Putting them in Chinese really highlights the ridiculousness of the lyrics (for me anyway) =P Good job.

    ReplyDelete