Wednesday, November 30, 2011

Beer Bread

There will be a longer post later this week, I promise. I had a good time back home for Thanksgiving, but I've been really busy with schoolwork and haven't been in so much of a writing mood. But I'll write tomorrow.

Anyway, my friend wanted one of my more popular recipes. This is for a beer bread that's served me quite well. I warn you that the measures are quite approximate since I just throw stuff in; so it's all guesswork. It's fun to make though - beer is a great ingredient. Also, you get to do this:

Yes, I am melting butter in beer. Butterbeer! This is for a double batch.
Enjoy!


JK's Beer Bread

1 can beer
1 stick butter
~1.5-2c. rye flour
~3/4-1c. white flour (can be replaced with potato flour, or more rye)
~3/4-1c. sugar
3 eggs
1/2 c. milk
1 tsp. baking powder
1 tsp caraway seeds (optional)

1. Melt the butter into the beer. Do this in a saucepan over medium-high heat.
2. Once the butter is blended into the beer - it should be a yellowish-brown color - take the liquid mixture off the flame and let it cool.
3. In a large mixing bowl, combine the butter-beer and 1/3 of the flours and sugar.
4. Mix in the eggs and milk.
5. Add the remaining dry ingredients - the rest of the flours and sugar and baking powder - and combine. You should add the caraway seeds here if you want them mixed in.
6. At this point, you should have a reasonably thick cake-like batter; if you're willing to taste it, it should be somewhat sweet, but with the taste of beer still apparent. If your batter is not thick enough, add flours and sugar in the following ratio: 2 parts rye flour, 1 part non-rye flour, 1 part sugar. If it's too thick, add a bit of milk or another egg.
7. Pour the mixture into a greased cake pan. This recipe works best with a 8"x8" pan, but a 9"x13" pan also serves quite well.
8. Bake at 350F for about 40-50 minutes or until a knife comes out with only a few tiny crumbs.

No comments:

Post a Comment