Friday, April 27, 2012

Test Run of Coverings: Or, Keeping My Head Covered for Four Days

I'm not sure what overcame me, but I'm doing a test run of keeping my head covered for a few days.

That means that when I'm out of the dorm, and I'm not wearing a hat, I'm wearing a kippah. And if I'm not wearing a kippah, I'm wearing a hat.

I've been thinking about doing this for a while, but I haven't made a decision yet. I decided to try it for a few days, see how it went, and then make a decision. I wouldn't wear a kippah on Shabbos, in most non-kosher restaurants, or while traveling in an area where being obviously Jewish would make me feel unsafe.

Wearing a kippah is a statement of two things: Jewish identity and deference to G-d. However, in the tradition I grew up in and in my denomination-hopping, it's not mandatory. Some Orthodox might find my attempt pretentious, some liberals might find it ridiculous. Or vice-versa. Oh well.

-
Notes from the first two days:

- When you're not used to it, keeping your head covered all the time is kinda uncomfortable. 


- I am so self-conscious, now that I'm wearing a kippah.


-People stare at me in line. This doesn't happen with the hat so much. (The kippah I'm wearing today is kinda awesome though)

-When one doesn't keep strict kosher, it can be a bit awkward. Particularly when one is eating something dairy/cheesy.

-Almost everyone who knows me knows I'm gay, so some of the stares come from that. Don't worry, I still am queer. But we come in many flavors!

No comments:

Post a Comment