Wednesday, June 27, 2012

Vegan (Thus Pareve) Potato Kugel

I'm in DC now! DC is awesome. I will write up an update once I've got time for the very long update that will be required.

I went to a vegan friend's apartment last Friday night for Shabbos dinner with two other friends of mine from various aspects of my life. I made a vegan potato kugel for the occasion. Ashley (the vegan) liked it a lot and wanted the recipe, so here it is!

I also made a non-vegan kugel earlier in the week for some other friends and for my family, the recipe I use is pretty much this one, which I wrote up last year, except I've started adding the rosemary, thyme, pepper, and marjoram.

Vegan Potato Kugel
based on my own recipe for unvegan potato kugel, which is based on my grandmother's recipe


4-5 potatoes, peeled
1 large onion, diced
2/3 cup olive oil + 2 tbsp for frying + 1 tbsp for greasing (canola oil also works)
2/3 cup water
~1 1/2 cups flour (a bit unsure on this measure)
1 1/2-2 tsp rosemary (you should have plenty of rosemary)
1 1/2 tsp salt
1 tsp pepper
1/2 tsp thyme
1/2 tsp marjoram
1/4 tsp baking powder

1. Preheat the oven to 375F. Grease a 9 x 13 shallow cake pan with the oil.

2. Grate the potatoes into thin strips. I grate by hand. Don't be a wuss.

(I recommend keeping the gratings until you use them submerged in water, since that prevents oxidization and your kugel turning gray.)

3. Fry the diced onion in the oil until the pieces are just soft. Set aside and cool.

4. In a bowl, mix together the onions, potato, olive oil and spices until the oil coats the potato.

5. Add the water.

6. Mix in the flour, 1/4 cup at a time, until the "batter" around the potato and onion is not completely thin. You may need more flour. Add the baking powder with one of the batches of flour.

(The flour makes up for the missing egg)

7. Pour into the pan. Bake for 35-45 minutes, or until the top of the kugel is brown and crisp. Remove from oven, and wait until it is a bit cooler before cutting into it.

No comments:

Post a Comment