Thursday, August 23, 2012

Inspired by Baked and Wired: the Skinny Elvis (Peanut Butter-Chocolate Chip-Banana Rice-Flour Flatbread)

One of the deadlier matters for my budget this summer has been my workplace's proximity to a fabulous bakery and coffee-shop: Baked and Wired.

This little establishment is a fantastic purveyor of all things sweet or caffeinated, and let me tell you, nothing starts my day quite like an expert brew or a perfectly crafted soy latte in one hand, with a piece of shockingly divine zucchini bread or eyes-closed, knees-bent delicious biscuits. At work, events are sweetened with goods from this shop, be it cookies or cupcakes or some divine almond concoction that may or may not cause transubstantiation of the consumer from human to a happiness beam.

Thus, Baked and Wired has become my muse for my own baking. Which is important, because I've been baking pretty frequently for the office.

At one event - another intern's birthday and last day - I tried the Elvis cupcake, a banana pastry topped with peanut butter-chocolate frosting. (In memory of the King's favorite sandwich, which was a fried peanut butter and banana delight). I became dead-set on trying to capture that flavor from the first bite.

In other news, I also wanted to make a gluten-free item - a few colleagues can't have it, and I prefer quick-breads to cupcakes anyway. So I made this: a Peanut Butter - Chocolate Chip - Banana Gluten-Free Flatbread.

The office liked them a lot - and in the email I sent out to announce the presence of such goodies, I asked for suggestions for the name. I was tempted to call these "Marilyn Monroes," but one lady suggested "Skinny Elvis" and the name stuck. I thus leave you with the rather easy recipe for ... the Skinny Elvis! Warning: it's not that skinny. I believe in butter.

But what would be in a Marilyn Monroe?

Skinny Elvis

I eyeball everything, so measures are approximate.

1 ripe banana, smashed
2 eggs
1/4-1/3 cup peanut butter
5.5 oz chocolate chips
1 1/2 cups confectioner's sugar
2 cups rice flour
7 tbsp melted butter + extra for greasing
1/2 tsp vanilla extract
2/3 cup soy milk or regular milk (I use soy milk for thickness)

1. Preheat your oven to 350F. Grease a baking pan - use a bigger pan for a thinner product.

2. In a large bowl, mix the eggs and banana until thoroughly combined. Add the peanut butter, vanilla, sugar, and butter, and mix thoroughly.

3. Add the flour and (soy) milk, and mix until you have a thick, sticky batter. A thin batter requires more flour, a thick batter, a little bit of milk or another egg.

4. Spread evenly over the bottom of the pan, and bake for 30 minutes, or until a toothpick comes out only with a little crumb. Cool, cut, and serve.

No comments:

Post a Comment