Friday, September 7, 2012

Shorter Name, Please: Black Bean Peanut Chili Soup with Rice Flour Dumplings and Tomato

Making dinner on my own is actually really nice.

Firstly, I can eat whatever I want. So I make lots of spicy food.

Secondly, cooking is a great way for me to destress from work, or cool down from a workout.

Thirdly, I can experiment. The result: this soup.

I had a lot of peanut butter and a can of black beans, as well as a random tomato. I also had a craving for dumplings of some form - matzoh balls or rice flour dumplings based on what my Caribbean friends call "Saturday dumplings."

The result was this soup. It was very tasty and filling - and very hearty! I will make variations of it this winter.

But can you think of a shorter name, please?

The finished product! My dumplings are rather large; I like to chop them up in the soup.
 
Black Bean Peanut Chili Soup with Rice Flour Dumplings and Tomato
 
Soup

1 medium onion or ½ large onion, diced

1 clove garlic, diced

2 cups black beans (canned and drained – about 1 can – or soaked from dried)

1 large or 2 medium tomato(es), diced

3-4 cups water

1 tbsp peanut butter

1 tbsp hot chili sauce

1 tsp soy sauce

Cilantro to taste

Canola oil


Dumplings

1 cup rice flour

1 teaspoon baking powder

½ teaspoon salt

Powdered ginger to taste

Pepper to taste

2 eggs

2 tsp water

(Optional: dried seasonings to taste)


1. Start with prepping the dumpling dough. Mix the dry ingredients together until combined.

2. Add the eggs and water to the flour mixture, and combine until you have a sticky dough. Set aside and let stand.

3. In a pot or large saucepan, sauté the onions and garlic until soft in oil.

4. Add the beans and tomatoes and sauté quickly for one minute.

5. Pour in the water and stir. Add the peanut butter, chili sauce, soy sauce, and cilantro and stir in. Bring to a boil.

6. Simmer for 5-10 minutes, stirring regularly. Taste and adjust seasoning accordingly.

7. In the meantime, shape your dumplings into little ball shapes with your hands. I imagine you can make 20 small ones, or 10 large ones. I prefer large dumplings to provide a cooler bite in comparison to the peppery soup. Also, you can chop them up with your spoon in the soup (like matzoh balls).

8. Drop the dumplings into the simmering soup and cook until the dumplings are all floating on the surface.

9. Boil for another minute. Remove from heat and serve. Serves about 2-4 people.

No comments:

Post a Comment